Friday, October 22, 2010

Cherry Tree Myth

First of all: George Washington, not to make a cherry tree. The tale of the young Washington was fessing up to "bark" of the tree estimate of his father.

However, the whole story a moral lesson, invented by the Patriots, the first biographer - a former Anglican priest and Bible salesman named Mason L. Weems.

Known throughout the country as "Parson" Weems, wrote several books on good behavior to supplement his Bible tract.

His most famous book was "The Life ofGeorge Washington, with curious anecdotes Equally Honorable to Himself and to his fellow young specimens. "

The book was published a year after the death of Washington in December 1799th It contained a lot of factual information, but also launched a couple of legends that our first president did something seem pedantic.

This is unfortunate, because the myth hides the true personality of our first president. He was a man of great dignity, but a vital and emotional people.It was ambitious, hardworking and sensitive to others.

Washington's integrity by all those he met recognized. However, he bridle worked all his life a hot temper.

There is no documentation for the fascinating story of the cherry Weem. He wrote that he had heard the story of "a distant relative in the vicinity of the family."

The relatives said they had never heard the story. However, the alleged incident in Washington with personality, character childhood.

Hewas 11 years he taught by his father, Augustine. Elder Washington stressed honesty and obedience - as pointed out by George textbooks and paper there to testify.

After the death of his father, young Washington learned the art of detection. At age 15, has been actively engaged in this occupation. This trade has constantly the border west of Ohio and Kentucky.

In 1754, Washington was sent by the governor of Virginia, a motor drive FrenchWith a strong bifurcation of the Ohio River and Allegheny, now Pittsburgh. The young American was beaten and forced to sign an important paper humiliating capitulation. It 'was the beginning of the French and Indian War.

In later campaigns, the same George Washington confirmed and was chosen for some important military functions.

Washington was 44 and a successful tobacco planter, where the American Revolution began. As such, he was reluctant to challenge the motherlandmilitarily.

However, he obeyed the call of the Continental Congress, the responsibility for the small army of Boston that the British had taken under siege Breed Hill Station - are not used in the vernacular Bunker Hill.

It took an honest man to deal with the reality of an irrevocable break with Great Britain - for the dangers and difficulties of creating a new nation to employ armed force.

The war for independence is now remembered as the War of Independence. In fact,It was our unpopular war - the Civil War and the Vietnam War, though. Many settlers were loyal to England, and bitterly opposed to a separation.

patience and perseverance of Washington has been a resounding success from a bad war. He has rightly earned the nickname "Father of our country."

It 's a pity that his true talents and accomplishments are trimmed object image do well for his memory through a well-meaning Parson Weems.

For example, here is the fullCherry stories told by enthusiastic Weems:

I Can not Tell A Lie

"When George was about six years, was the captain of a dark rich of whom, like the younger children, became extremely happy, and was constantly going over everything, and chop it has encountered.

"One day in the garden, where he often amused himself hacking his mother's pea sticks, tried, unfortunately, the edge of his ax on the body of a young and beautifulEnglish cherry tree, which he barked so terribly that I do not think that the tree always better.

"The next morning, the old man (father of Washington) to find out what had happened to her tree - which, incidentally, was a big favorite - came home with a lot of heat, has asked the sly I said at the same time that he has taken five guineas for his tree.

"No one could tell him anything. Currently, George and his hatchet madetheir performance. "George," his father said, "to do, please know who killed that beautiful little cherry tree in the garden"

"This was a difficult question, and George staggered under recovered for a moment, but soon look to his father with the sweet face of youth, with the inexpressible charm of all-conquering truth, enlightened, he said bravely." I can not lie, Pa Sai, I can not lie. I did it with my ax. "

"'To start my arms, you dear boy"cried his father in transports. '"Run" In my arms. Glad I, George, you killed my tree, because you told me I paid for it a thousand times. This act of heroism in my son is worth a thousand trees in bloom, but with silver and their fruits of purest gold! '"

I know you were here

Parson Weems was evidently not satisfied, it was an adequate description of all the virtues of Washington. He embellished the same book with another myth:

"One day Mr.Washington went into the garden and prepared a bed of finely ground powder. In it he wrote first and last name of George, big letters. Then he spread a lot of cabbage seeds. He revealed, and all well with the smooth roll.

"The bed, which prepared deliberately go close to the side of a gooseberry, who knew that the visits of George, when ripe fruits were honored

"Not many mornings had passed before George was rolling his eyes wildly, and itsCheeks bursting with great news.

"'O Pa! Come here come here. I'll show you what a show like you've seen in your life."

"Lord, knowing that the old man, who would be George, who picked out his hand with great enthusiasm, and dragged him through the garden along, led him on the bed that was in large letters - and all in fresh water newly emerged plants - the full name of George Washington.

"'There are, Pa," saidGeorge, a very ecstasy of wonder, "Have you ever seen such a sight in your life? Who is it?

"" It 's grown there by chance, I think my son. "

"" Oh Pa, can not say all this is a chance that someone actually did it; .. And now I would say, Pa, you have just to scare me because I am your child "

"His father smiled and said," Well, George, you're right I'm in the fact that;. But you learn not to fear, my son, but a great thing that I wantto understand you. I would like you to know your real father. "

"'High, Pa., is not my real dad, you, who loved me, so good with me forever?"

"Yes, George, I am your father, as the world calls it. I love you very fond of you. But still, with all my love for you, I'm just a poor never-do kind of father compared what you" .

"'Yes, I know quite well who do you think Pa You mean, God, the Almighty does not mean, yes, but where is God Almighty?" I never see himyet. "

"It's true, my son, but if you've never seen, but he is always with you, you. She did not see me, when ten days ago, when I plant a small bed where we see the name you have this beautiful green letters. Although I do not see here, but you know I was here. "

"Yes, Pa, what I do. I know you were here '"

* * *

So much for poetic license. The truth needs no embroidery.

Washington was that rare, historic character - the right manright time right place. His whole life was a dedication to the highest good for the greatest number.

It was not easy for him, but he worked on his weaknesses discipline - replace pride with honesty, patience with duty. His life is an example more inspiring to our own imperfect nature that the preaching of moralists.

throw in a plate of his birthday with Abraham Lincoln in a Presidents Day convenience '- they give us another long weekend - you might miss the realLessons of this great hero has left us.

No comments:

Post a Comment