Friday, September 10, 2010

Interview with Jan Walker, a columnist for the daughter of a detainee "

Prison parents / family educator Jan Walker speaks to us today about their recently published book. Jan is trained in child and family studies and has spent the last 18 years as an educator for offenders in adult prisons prisons prisons media. Welcome to Reader Views January

Irene: Jan, your book, "The daughter of a detainee" is now launched. Your book advocates for children coping with a parent in prison. Tell us the essence of your book.

Jan: 'sThe protagonist, Jenna MacDonald and her mother and younger brother were in the house of the grandparents of Jenna in Tacoma, WA, drew near McNeil Island Corrections Center, the prison where his father was transferred. Jenna is the new girl in school and wants to "group" for a multi-ethnic group of girls.

The girls are curious about her heritage (she is part Native American) and why he lives with his grandparents. They follow their way home from schoolLook at his bedroom window. Dub them The Snoops.

Jenna's mother imposes a "Do not Tell" rule of prison. Jenna loves her father and wants to talk
on him and his artistic talent. Keeping a secret is difficult under the best circumstances. This
Jenna difficult when attention to themselves and the family asks if they leave the family to visit
McNeil Iceland. One child tripped and fell into Puget Sound and Jenna jumps to save her. This is a
automatic reaction of many rescue against his younger brother in a trailer park pool
where I used to live.

Irene: What inspired you to write?

January was: In 18 years I have learned parents locked up, wrote books and programs of study and work
to be with women and men involved in a positive way with children, I invested in Energy
and over my contract, responsibility for the concern for children, my students'. You're innocent
Victims of choice of their parents'. The children broke no law, but they are often mistreated or avoided
their community, school, and sometimes in their extended family.

After leaving prison in training to become full-time, a friend and mentor, invited in writing, writing
a book for children aged 9 or 10 to 15 years. He said that should be classified as a
Mid-grade novel. Children who fall in the age group 9-15, are often violated andconfused
About prison. I did not know how to write for years, so I had to learn some of the parameters, I
went with them. My friend heard the whole first draft, offered excellent advice and encouraged me
to be public. He died before finding a publisher. The book is dedicated to her, but really
my efforts to have children of detained parents know that I understand a bit 'of their struggle, and that
I appreciate them enough to spend much timeEnergy and write a story about one of them is that
all of them.

Irene: You have a family relationship education and training classes, adult criminals for 18 years.
Tell us how and why they chose this profession.

Jan: The career I chose. I have taught similar courses at a campus community
Tacoma, WA, if the diet would be in prison education is compulsory under the Community
College System. I decided to draw up programs and classes at the ' women's prison for a year. The
Population and the need to tailor courses you addicted to me.

Irene: What types of programs you've built?

Jan: It 's been a Home and Family Life program, the high school level was. I taught Standard
Clothing construction classes in a sewing workshop and some food and nutrition courses, but my real
Energy entered the positive parenting, child development and family relations classes. The
Prison was a cooperative> Kindergarten called Pooh's Corner in construction education. Children and
The parents arrived in the community. A kindergarten teacher comes from a tech school and ran to VOC
preschool program. Detainee students, children or the development of children and the classes were in
were cut to fit around children, worked as an assistant teacher. Interacted with
Children and kept anecdotal information that we discussed in class. The program is in placeif I
began to teach there. I started writing a new curriculum that parents need and imprisoned in the form
Profiles and "retirement" books from high school. My first book was called MY
Reports, my car. E 'out of print. I worked and taught parenting FROM A
DISTANCE concept that the book's publication. All the courses I taught, and fell under Home
Family, and focuses on preparing women to come back home.

When I transferred from femaleMcNeil Island Prison, a medium custody facility for men, it
was to coordinate orientation program called "Project social responsibility." Every man who came
to spend on the island, had its first full week of this program. We had 29 speakers, with the support
Presentations, but I have eight hours to 20 hours a week with them, men and wrote their parents' specific
Family and materials for this. The project was discussed in my essay.

Irene: What were the main participantsin your programs?

Jan: Most of the women were mothers. Many of them were in contact with their children and had
regular visits. Some of them were not able to their children because of abuse, usually see a man who
The mother was involved, although sometimes she was the author. Most took lessons
because they wanted their children to be positively involved. Some attended because
Court ordered to do so. Some face termination of parental rights. I wasoften called
Cases. A couple lost their children, but nevertheless the right to receive information or photos over the years.
A few (maybe three, where I went to court) has lost all rights and contact information.

When I moved to McNeil Island, I had a similar situation - my father, who wanted to learn who is dad
Court, was convicted of having Class Parents and dad who came, what I "Open Door", named after a laboratory
Type of institution, where they could, to create objects to send their children.I called my memories
Dancing To tune the concertina, and said that I was dancing as fast as I could. I had discussions
Groups during the occupation, so that men who have low literacy educational learned by listening. I
wrote letters before the courts and the office in support of execution (and I kept my Models
Computer to speed things up) for men who could neither read nor write and had never signed a business
Letter. I learned to the point where his signatureshould go, and praise, when he led a
"Signature" It 's been a real pressure that have been linked in a basic training for adult education classes.

Moreover, in both prisons, I gave parenthood and family that I created handouts, and other art objects
Who asked for them, if the office staff sometimes had to help me because I made copies
My budget overused Copy.

Irene: You wrote "parents at a distance" a number of years. How different arethe
two books from each other?

Jan: I wrote Parenting From a distance of a women's prison in class I was teaching. It 'a text
Book adapted to the needs of parents in prison. I revised and republished the book in December 2005.
This is a textbook on the rights and obligations of parents who are separated from their concentrated
Children. A prisoner is the daughter of drama from the viewpoint of the child wrote. The prison
father of an inmate's Daughter is aThe man who took parenting classes, while inside, and that
understands the difficulties of parents of children locked up in his face.

Irene: The prisoners teach you not read his books? If so, what were their
Reactions?

Jan: My relationships, my self a text to a class of family in women's prison, so that all
who enrolled and completed the worksheets, read it. Much more to read Parents FROM A
DISTANCE. Many, many students read excerpts from otherThings I wrote that I created for scenarios
"Writing to clarify Thinking" assignments. I taught every class I write, and also taught
Creative Writing classes such as McNeil.

I would say about the book in particular parenting: My men than women students were
surprised, amazed, impressed, enough that someone took care of the prisoners to write such a book for their use.
The reason I went out on a limb financially to issue new parenting book, because I knowago
difference. There are no formal measures to demonstrate. The only thing I know. I hope
daughter of a detainee will help stop some of the general population, for a moment to think
Men and women in prison and his reality.

Irene: Keep family secrets is a script that was handed down from generation to generation. They are
encouraged to break this script. Tell us the benefits of "talk" of family problems.

Jan: It 's just this: ifChildren are not telling the truth, are the stories they believe
the truth and replace it. The secrets are destructive for everyone. If the parents keep the truth under lock and key
Prison by their children, close all doors to communication. When children are forced
keep a secret, lying dormant inside. I use this analogy in a prisoner's daughter Zeke, Jenna's younger
Brother, gathering in a comment from my grandfather, who says: "Remove the crust, let the pus, and
Zeke replied, "Pussss. Oooooze, as typical nine years.

Irene: Very often, the children of criminals are ostracized by society, especially for their age. How do
Encouraging children to face?

Jan: You have to remember their parents' decisions are not their fault, their parents still love them
(This is in cases of child abuse called into question, the situation in an individual must be taken into account), and
can make healthier choices for themselves. You need permissionThe adults take care love
are they to talk about their anxieties and concerns that go with their lives, while their parents
far to find the strength and ignore the evil in others. They need teachers in their schools to help
all students to understand some of the realities of prison.

Irene: What are your methods to address these difficulties?

Jan If I talk with children, do your eyes and ask them how they feel their parents
in prison. I help state and reaffirm their feelings. I'm talking about feelings with the very simple "Five
Feeling "level - mad, sad, happy, lonely and afraid. I like to use" You "statements." You seem sad. "I"
think your mother to do something that was removed're crazy. 'There are signs
You can read to children ... Nail biting, leg whips or so later, shrugging his shoulders, pulling hoods
Blouses eyes. Good teachers know howRead signs and talk to
Children 1-1. However, we have our teachers with the requirements, the overload left his
little time for such interaction. How can a teacher for every 30 or 35 students? There is a
The reason, as a large percentage of children with a parent in prison until the end this time.

Irene has spent much time in prisons for adult education on effective parenting. How receptive are
Your students?

Jan: Of the hundreds I've met,two or three who were angry (maybe emotionally disturbed) wanted
Discount my theory. The rest were grateful, very open and have worked hard to return or
maintain contact with their children. I wrote about a specific part of the work that I and successes
and the fight in my book of memories of dance, Concertina's Tune. (Concertina and barbed wire
Tops prison fences.)

Irene: It 's very difficult to change. Many of your students have learned from their parentsas
Parent. When she returned to her family environment, as it is difficult for them to adapt
The new styles of parenting?

Jan: It's never easy to change. It is never easy for a family that has learned, no further back
You. Parents in from afar, I wrote a nice piece on "Contracts for forgiveness" and asked
Students use it with their parents, spouses and children. The approach should be adapted to all
us when weRelationship struggles.

Irene: What are some of these "contracts"?

Jan: We made them easy and practiced before students leave the prison. You may be reading a book,
Child every night for a time, trips to the park, play catch, help with homework,
Going out for ice cream. It may be difficult with older children ... Immersion
personal and family history, the truth about the past behavior (only suitable for the childAge)
Support from coaching a sports team or visitors, saves money for school
Activities.

A woman had to deal with his mother where he lived for a time ', all neatly lined
Walls with liquid gold once a week (a little 'obsessive?) Limiting the use of hot water in shower
Mother fixed, and other similar behaviors. After the agreed period, a sentence that
The woman was assigned and the mother was notback past mistakes. We learned how
to communicate how to use reminders.

Irene: What percentage of success in the changes?

Jan relapse rates are high for all for all criminals. There are statistics that relate to specific
Classes or educational programs, although generally the higher the level of education, less likely
Recidivism rate. Students who worked on the personal and social responsibility, and both the life and teachings
skills, while insideis well known, more likely to be out of jail. Age is also
a factor. Deadline for help.

Irene: Thank January there anything else you add to your desire or your book?

Aug: Please read my website] http://www.janwalker-writer.com [I posted some downloadable
Parenting Curriculum, History and Family Patterns, and Child Development on the site. And 'furnished
reading for trainers to use with students with mild and informationWorksheets.

For more information about my unusual teaching, reading my book, Dancing To The CONCERTINA'S
TUNE: A teacher prison memoirs. Ordering information is on my site.

When I look back, I worked with incarcerated students try to be prepared
Renewed their families and communities, I feel tired. It 'been a hard work. Students who have successfully
those who are willing to work hard. They were unearthed from prison if
not social, and cultural obstacles to meeting each step. This is their reality: they need
by them to do to earn their way back into their families and communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment