Thursday, September 9, 2010

Interview with SK Whalen, author of Rooke Iceland - The prophecy of eyes

Sue Whalen grew up in a wilderness park in North Vancouver, BC, Canada. His parents, then they were the custodians of the park and ran a shop, a concession of food and gifts for hundreds of visitors who enjoy the park each year. A huge forest of one hundred years Douglas fir, hemlock and red cedar trees, surrounded the family home. Twin-covered peaks, deep gorges and world famous suspension bridge was the view from the panoramic windows of hishome. The suspension bridge swaying 20 floors above the roaring Lynn Creek. Sue loved hiking in the mountains, swimming and fishing in the stream. Reflecting back, Sue says it was those early years that shaped their stories and love for nature. Sue now lives in Fall River, Nova Scotia, to live with her husband Ken and their adult children and grandchildren nearby.

Miss Vickie, grandson of Sue, helping the author. It 'was the spark and the light of history continues. LoseVickie has been your connection to the fantasy of a young player is more important, Miss Vickie has had to like it or not there was rewritten.

Tyler: Welcome, I am glad that you and your Miss Vickie I might one click. What a great fantasy adventure story you wrote. To start, you get the main character, Margery Mutters?

Sue: Well, Margery teacher of middle age. The story begins with Margery living in a house at the head of Old Oak Hill in Canyon City. Youliving alone, a quiet monotone, boring life, really. She loves nature and her garden more than anything else. Margery is quite an extraordinary woman, but that part is no secret that he had always literally under the cap under his hat. One of the oddities Margery is always wearing a hat. As it happened, the hat is very important for a saw-whet owl of only 4.5 "will be high and constant companion Margery walks Centerfolds hat.

Margery is a woman, muesli, a mixture ofeverything is never the same. He always high energy, as a kind and caring. However, often their thoughts and feelings do not match his actions. Always the optimist on each obstacle and danger, he never gives up and believes that everything will be fine. There is an inner strength that keeps them going, no matter how eager she is, she never shows her fears on her face. Often acts or speaks before she thinks, she is easily irritated, judges much peopletoo quickly to stare at people when they should not, and she often shows poor education at the table. Finally, they would have preferred to keep a lady right, you're the type who sips tea abstainers and quiet. It 'a woman who knows proper etiquette and know the difference. Margery is embarrassed, confused and is in a Tizzy, when their conscience wakes up and realizes how their actions are rude.

Tyler: Why did you want a character that Margery, with specificStrengths and weaknesses you just said, it was reasonable, or even pleasant for the plot of your novel?

Sue: Margery character is a woman credible every day, not a magical person, even a Super Star, a cliché, or a cookie cutter character. Perhaps, as a grandmother, an aunt, or the person is the road. Why did it work? Because the reader could identify with her and some of their magical journey. It is not boring, because even the smallest imperfection Iexaggerated. The child may laugh at you a teenager could love their power, their fears and doubts. Older people and older people can see for yourself.

The action, situations, owls, the scenes were always written first draft and then I would like to write to Margery. I found three-dimensional characters, their strengths, weaknesses and habits of some terrible gave more depth. This made it easier for me to get her a wide range of conflicts of interest and adventurein which the results were not predetermined and unpredictable. At the same time, I did grow Margery through the process of the novel as an adventure.

Tyler: Who Margery inherit the island? What happens that brings them Rooke is Iceland?

Sue: Learn uncle has inherited from her long-lost island where a mysterious letter arrives in unusual circumstances. His life changes when he touched the letter, it is as if the lettergrabs, checking her and does all his world upside down. Travelling in Iceland Rooke starts now.

Tyler: Before arriving on the island, Margery stops in Alwyn Village, where he meets some interesting people. Want to tell us who they are?

Sue: The character of Alwyn Village is a comical voices including: the repulsive SNOG Sydney, garrulous Gabriella (Gabbi) Mooley and their hateful Purple Inn. Of course there are the lazy good for nothing Dicky Men DoolittleMen Hector Dodge and let us not forget the macaroni and cheese colored cat Mr. Dinky. This is a merchant, the perfect Puddley Peter, and the owner of Kettle's Kafe, the carpenter and his cups of water ever so beautiful talkative woman fat Snippy Lippy.

Tyler: What do people think of Alwyn use Rooke's Village for Iceland? If you are curious and Margery nervous to go there?

Sue Tyler, for hundreds of years, Margery's uncle and great uncle alone to guard the island. WithWeapons on their shoulders to ensure criminals do not step foot on the island. The villagers are simply tired of secrecy, rumors and speculation run wild. Margery's trip to the island, but also has a crazy old owl, who lost his mind, his entourage and an owl made of shells appear completely in his dream. With all this going on, she is very nervous the fear of the unknown, from the constant stomach pain. I must say that is strange and nervous pushesisland. The story is written so that you know, won their curiosity.

Tyler: Is Iceland Rooke is magical and all the fantasy world of others, or still bear a certain resemblance to the world every day?

Sue Rooke Iceland's surface looks like any other island in real life. The fantasy world is well below the island. The island is called in three levels: the Terra Alta, Lower and Inner Earth Earth is divided. The Earth is the upper surface of the 'islandHome of world's people, owls, trolls under the earth, the realm of the owl folklore, fairies, elves, and gnome-owls. The Inner Earth is miles deep into the core in the center of the island, where hundreds of old owls live. The king of all owls friend Queen Ocean, hundreds of soldiers and hundreds of Ings Indigo owls, that the land lightly. Like the Golden Owl, one of the leading navigation button, which is the prophecy for the future of owls.

TylerCan you tell Margery meeting with owls on the island?

Sue: Each chapter has a new magical encounter with the owl, sometimes with an owl, sometimes hundreds of owls. Parliaments of owls live and work in each of the levels on the island. All the owls are important to the prophecy.

Tyler: Sue we can about the prophecy of staring eyes? What is the prophecy, and why is it important?

Sue: First, all eyes are owls on the islandand on earth. The prophecy was written in the past but the future of owls. As written, it must follow the timing and detail of the prophecy, or the owls will wait another thousand years before a new king owls may arise. It 'important that the owls have a strong king owl' wisdom 'can continue to rule the birds of prey. Margery arrives just in time for the owls prophecy.

Tyler: Was Uncle Margery live with owls and know them. It was whykeep the people from the island?

Sue: The owls were part of the island, long before the ancestors of Margery, his uncle has been resolved, Rookes. My uncle was part of the Kingdom of the owl, owl, and the Council, are like "No Feathers" by owls. Owls needed to keep the people of the island and the secrets the owls'. When Margery arrives everything is ready for her, had a nice modern house with garden. My uncle called a large barn builtScared Barn. The barn is the meeting place for owls Parliament from all three levels of 'Island. The prophecy will be appointed by the king in the owls Eyking all to read.

Tyler: Sue, without the ending away, would you say that Margery learns anything because of their experiences in Iceland Rooke's?

Sue: Our Margery, this is what Miss Vickie and I call it love. The prophecy would never have taken without their help, he needed the owls. The best part ofMargery, they are as wise as the wise old owls. You'll see Margery adapt and become stronger, as it blends seamlessly into the world of owls' "and is woven in the prophecy. She is calmer, happier, more understanding, patience and shows with the most owls. Not only make the real world and fantasy world of Iceland Balance Rooke, becoming one with the owls and nature.

Tyler: You mean then that Margery really more in touch with nature and animalsas owls than people?

Sue: Margery that a teacher has knowledge and experience with a natural tendency of intuitive sense to people and owls. He wants to be a part of both worlds, which certainly do not want a recluse like his uncle. I guess years in the classroom helps with the children, who understand all the characters of the owl. 'S dedicated to them. Owls are the most important thing in theirLife.

Tyler: I understand Miss Vickie Margery also has a young human companion. Can tell us something about him? It was his idea that a younger companion Margery have?

Miss Vickie: You are right, a boy of 14 years. He is special, he received a mystery and a promise with Uncle Margery. I do not remember which was the idea just seemed to always be in history. Margery need him, and he helps to build things. I remember his eight years, Megan's sister was myIdea and she looks exactly like me.

Tyler: Sue, you are from where the idea of "Iceland Rookie?

Sue: When I was young, I often visited my Aunt Margery, collected owl figurines. Owls had anywhere in their homes. Back in the day, collected different things. My aunt had not children, so when she was 94 years, has packed all her owls for the last time in their lives and sent 8,000 miles by truck, plane and car at home. I think the owls were sleepingStatues in his home for over 70 years. As for my life, I first saw the owls when I was four, I went to school program of the Navy, was married, had children, my children are grown, had children and then the owls came in my life.

Owls in two large boxes, 312 came on Friday evening. I know why Miss Vickie came to my house every Friday and she was just six when the box arrived. We opened the boxes and we both looked at hundreds of packages that littlePiles of plastic bubble wrap. We check carefully packed each owl, we were so intrigued we placed each owl on glass shelves in a room. The space that says we have called Peach room where it all began, owls magic their story through their eyes. The little owl figurines, traveled across Canada, so it is a fantasy made in Canada.

Rookie Iceland, the exhibition may not have a story when the time is right. Bridges generations of history, from my aunt. Yes, is the name ofafter her. Why not? Without her owl collection there would be no story. All of us prove that you're never too old to dream too young and not a history together. We have been ninety years between my aunt and my niece.

Tyler: This is a wonderful story, Sue, and truly a story of women of different generations together to tell the story. What do you think your aunt would say today if you had written about her and her owls knew?

Sue Tyler, my aunt lived two moreYears after delivering the owl to me. Once a week I would call from British Columbia. During these weekly meetings. would always have to update the story. She liked the fact that I was his name, could not believe his collection came to live in a fantasy world. She laughed a lot about character and personality the owl. The funny thing is, he wanted to Margery, just like her, and married Margery. It 'was like they wanted to live through my writing. IAlwyn compromise Village is the name of the first second of my uncle and the river on Iceland Rooke called Lady-Cap, which is short for Capilano and Ladysmith, where were my aunt and my uncle is over.

Vickie and I met an end, before my aunt died. Although it is still two years before they actually finished the book, we used the final that we wrote down for them. My aunt made me promise that I published. I'm sure like the book, I sent to manyolder friends, remember the owl collection and received wonderful letters and notes back some.

Tyler: Sue, tell me how you and Miss Vickie began to tell the story owl. Do you remember the time to start?

Sue: I remember the day we put the Owls on the shelves Miss Vickie and I have mentioned. At first it was just for fun, we've done stories with the owls. The first story was the ugliest and two greatest people called Eaton and Ardyth and we had a dayAnti-B, the Owls have defended island. We did Ardyth Eaton and the last of the prehistoric birds on earth, great warriors. This story first chapters. (Chapter 11: Meeting of Eaton, and Chapter 14: Two Birds Owl meet).

It 'was an owl, who arrived with the name scratched on the bottom. When I was seven I Eaton etching ground, without the knowledge of my aunt. Miss Vickie decided to keep this name and my aunt she never knew what I had done.

TylerMiss Vickie have a character?

Miss Vickie: No, I was only six years, we have not finished when I was nine, almost ten years. Twelve now. We talk about what would happen later, when I came in next Friday we would act the next chapter. I would say that I loved what I did not. There were a lot of rewriting.

Tyler: Sue, would you say he had no literary influences from other children's books could be read as a child?

Sue: My book for children of allThe time is "Alice in Wonderland." I did it many times and always something new to read.

Although "Rookie Iceland" was written for young readers, to my surprise, I received the following information. Maybe "Rooke Iceland's' is something else, the reader.

A note from a woman aged 85, said: "I found it interesting that you paired an old lady with the creature wiser than the wisest of the bird world."

A girl of 16 years, wrote in his report book "Margery is aStunned, she sometimes has no idea what to do, just like me. You have to be fifty, and has changed his life overnight, but this is cool. "

A woman of 50 years, wrote: "I read the book twice, I'm just a kid at heart. When we graying planet we know, do not matter how old or wise we become people or owls We can not predict the future."

Tyler: Miss Vickie, to help it be fun to write a book was. What were some of the favorite things you have inWrite the book?

Miss Vickie: I called several owls. I drew the maps in the book, have you noticed the owl, the cards are shaped, and I took pictures of the owl. It 'started with the stories, pretending and acting out, we never thought it would be a book. I enjoyed it, even after publication of the book helps with bookmarks, posters, Iceland Rooke T-shirts, owl-cards for each of the owls (like baseball cards). We have two new signings and a book fair that has been mocked, and this is mysecond interview.

Tyler: Miss Vickie, you have a favorite chapter?

Miss Vicky: Yes, Chapter 9, "The secrets of the giant redwoods," because we are near a big tree on the road near Lake HS our huge tree roots I called the root of the highway, because I was so small I could barely had to climb through the roots. It could be argued that the flap would open the tree and went down the trunk, and sitting on a roller coaster ride, and under the lake.

I also like the chapter 3, TheIncident at Kettle's Kafe. "I like the last page. And 'was an accident in a cafe we saw, when we were out for breakfast. I asked my nanny to the editor asking to change something. The publisher said it did nothing to change the situation-it was fun as it was.

Tyler: Miss Vickie, what will you do next? Do you think it will continue to write books or think to be more of an author?

Miss Vickie: My older brother and sister want to be part of the forthcoming bookbut I'm sure will help me. I am a skater and I skate three hours a day, so I did not so long now.

Tyler: and Sue, plan to write other books, including a sequel could be "Rooke is Iceland?

Sue: I had a sequel in mind and began to write songs and to build characters.

Tyler: Sue, before you go, tell us where readers can find more information or a copy of "Iceland Rookie?

Sue Tyler Sure, you can buy "Rooke Iceland's'online from my publisher, iUniverse or Amazon Books & Amazon Kindle Books, Barnes & Noble, Borders, Chapters.ca (Canadian).

Tyler: Thank you both for today here. I think it's wonderful that you have a good relationship and may have a way of working. I wish you much luck for the future, your dreams.

Tyler R. Tichelaar of Reader visits was pleased by SK Whalen (Sue) and her niece, Miss Vickie together to talk about his new book"Rooke's Island: The Prophecy of the eyes open" iUniverse.com, (2007), ISBN 9,780,595,445,455 th

No comments:

Post a Comment